TAHLEQUAH, Okla. — The Cherokee Nation is now accepting applications for its annual Elder Angel Project, which provides Christmas gifts to eligible Cherokee elders.
Last year more than 400 Cherokee elders were provided gifts through the program.
“Our Cherokee elders have been a blessing to our tribe, and they have been leaders among our communities and our families for many generations,” Deputy Chief Bryan Warner said. “This program is such a blessing to our Cherokee elders during the Christmas season.”
Application guidelines include:
- Must be 60 years of age or older;
- Must be a Cherokee Nation citizen;
- Reside within Cherokee Nation Reservation;
- Provide proof of income.
Eligible Cherokee elders may apply at any of the Cherokee Nation Human Services offices across the reservation from now until Nov. 13, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during normal business hours. A list of in-person sign-up events is also provided below.
“The Elder Angel Project is to ensure our most vulnerable elder citizens receive a gift or something special for Christmas. With the help of the community, some of our elders would not otherwise receive a gift. They are given clothing, blankets, jewelry, household items and many other unique things to help brighten their holiday season,” Executive Director of Human Services Jennifer Kirby said. “When the elders sign up and receive their gifts, it’s a good opportunity for us to check in with them and address any other challenges they may be experiencing.”
For more information, contact Cherokee Nation Human Services at 918-453-5422.
Applications will be accepted on the following dates between 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.:
- Marble City Senior Nutrition Site – Oct. 26 – 711 N. Main, Marble City
- Wisdom Keepers Senior Nutrition Site – Oct. 27 – 1286 W. 4th, Tahlequah
- Nowata Senior Nutrition Site – Oct. 30 – 1018 Lenape Dr., Nowata
- Caney Senior Nutrition Site – Nov. 1 – 26229 E. 813 Rd., Welling
- Evening Shade Senior Nutrition Site – Nov. 3 – 453929 E. 995., Vian
- Spavinaw Senior Nutrition Site – Nov. 6 – 125 S. Main, Spavinaw
- Kenwood Senior Nutrition Site – Nov. 7 – 745 County Rd., 487, Salina
- Oaks Senior Nutrition Site – Nov. 7 – 324 E. Cherokee Blvd, Oaks
- Greasy Senior Nutrition Site – Nov. 8 – 467505 E. 932 Rd., Bunch
- Dry Creek Senior Nutrition Site – Nov. 9 – 30402 S. 584 Rd., Bunch
- Porum Senior Nutrition Site – Nov. 10 – Wheeler Estates, Quapaw St. Porum