Cherokee Nation now accepting grant applications from schools to participate in Cherokee history field trips for fall 2013

August 23, 2013

File PhotoFile Photo

Download Release Download Photos (right click+save as)

TULSA, Okla. - Cherokee Nation is offering students an exclusive look at its rich history and culture through an education tour grant program.

Cherokee Nation Cultural Tourism is awarding the grants to increase the experience and knowledge of Cherokee history and culture for elementary students attending public schools within the tribe’s 14-county jurisdiction.

Funding is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Schools that do not meet the requirements or miss the deadline may experience the program for a small fee.

Applications are available beginning Aug. 26 online at until Sept. 26, or until all available field trips have been filled for fall.

Education Tour Grant Program

The Cherokee Nation education tour grant program is in its fifth year. Minimum requirements for eligibility for schools include being located within the Cherokee Nation’s 14-county jurisdiction, a majority of the school’s students must hold a Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (C.D.I.B.) card, the school’s class size may not exceed tour capacity, and the majority of the school’s students must be eligible for free and/or reduced school lunches.

The grant-sponsored tours, available for grades 3rd through 6th, are designed to promote priority academic student skills (P.A.S.S.) in various subjects while also providing an authentic look into Cherokee heritage. Cherokee Nation has also arranged for special tour rates for 7th through 12th grade and college students.

A total of 20 education tours will be presented this semester. Approximately 15 tours, or 75 percent, are dedicated specifically to schools within the Cherokee Nation’s 14-county jurisdiction. The remaining 25 percent will be made available to schools outside of the jurisdiction. Tour groups must be limited to 60 students, with special circumstances taken into consideration. One adult chaperone for every 10 students during the tour is required at all times. Each school can qualify for a grant once per tour season, but can participate in the education tours as often as desired through separate funding.

Education Tours Program

Adapted from the popular Cherokee Nation Cultural Tourism group tours, the education tour program features three tours, including the Cherokee History Tour that visits Tahlequah’s historic Capitol Square and Cherokee National Supreme Court Museum, Cherokee National Prison Museum, Murrell Home, Cherokee Heritage Center and Ancient Village; the Will Rogers Tour that visits the Will Rogers Memorial Museum and Dog Iron Ranch; and the Civil War Tour that visits Capitol Square, Murrell Home and Fort Gibson Historic Site.

In addition to the education tours, a variety of add-ons are available for an additional fee including transportation on a 22-passenger shuttle bus, box lunches and cultural activities such as basket weaving, pottery and mini stickball making.

The students and/or school will provide lunch, water and/or snacks unless prearranged at sign-up.

Teacher Curriculum Guide and Student Activity Book

Cherokee Nation Cultural Tourism created complimentary Cherokee education curriculum to support the tour programs, which is provided to teachers upon registration.

The teacher’s curriculum guide is designed to serve as a teaching tool to prepare students for the education tour. Teachers will find more than 30 pages of historical information to share with their students. A student activity book has been created that corresponds to the teacher’s curriculum guide. The goal of the activity book is to prepare students for the tour by giving them background information beforehand so they can fully benefit from the information and experiences they will encounter while on the tour while also meeting the State of Oklahoma’s Pass Objectives.

Historical field trips are offered during the 2013-2014 school year. For more education, tour grant information or to book an education tour, please call (918) 384-7787.